Mr. Hunter felt a kinship with these Heads of the Kings of Judah when he encountered them at the Musée National du Moyen Age
(aka the Musée de Cluny) in Paris.
The statues of the Kings of Judah were displayed on the facade of Notre Dame Cathedral until 1793 and the French Revolution. These particular fragments were unearthed in 1977 during some construction in the 8th arrondissement of Paris.
The Cluny web site tells how the original statues had been sold to a builder after they'd been dismantled, but that the heads had later been purchased and "buried with respect" in 1796.