Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Civil War: General Lee and Stonewall Jackson

In the summer of 2001, Mr. Hunter traveled back in time to the 1860s.  How so?  He'd been invited to see a Civil War reenactment.  After watching the battle itself, he had a chance to walk around the camp and pose with some Civil War "generals." 

I'm a Union gal myself (of course) but still I have a great affection for this black-and-white photo of Mr. Hunter in the hands of the guy dressed up as General Robert E. Lee.  And that's "Stonewall Jackson" on the right.  

Side note: the real Stonewall Jackson died of complications of pneumonia a few days after he was accidentally shot by Confederate pickets at the Battle of Chancellorsville.  One of my ancestors (a great-great grandfather) was a Union soldier and actually fought at the Battle of Chancellorsville; he was captured there and held as a prisoner of war.

Here's a photo of my great-great grandfather and some of his family; 
it was taken in 1915:
(I love that cane!)

Civil War Reenactment
August 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment