Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mr. Hunter Recommends: The Courtauld Gallery

The Courtauld Gallery is a wonderful, friendly little museum on The Strand.  I've visited the Courtauld every time I've been to London, and each time it has been a pleasure to wander the galleries.  They have many Impressionist and Post-Impressionist masterpieces on display, including works by Renoir, Manet, Van Gogh, Seurat, and Cezanne.  

About this painting by Amadeo Modigliani

One of my favorite paintings at the Courtauld is this piece by Modigliani.
I think I'd seen and admired this image in a book long before I'd ever gone to London, and I remember turning a corner when I was first visiting the Courtauld, and there she was, this Modigliani nude.  

I had a similar experience once at the Musée d'Orsay in Paris. At home I had a framed print of a delicious Klimt landscape, but I'd never seen that particular painting in person.  And then, tucked into a corner of a room in the Musee d'Orsay, there it was.  
I love running into paintings that are old friends.

Man with a Pipe, by Paul Cezanne

Portrait of Ambroise Vollard
Pierre-Auguste Renoir

A Bar at the Folies-Bergère
Edouard Manet

Haymaking
Paul Gauguin

Guess who.

Another favorite painting.  I fell in love with this piece.
Child with a Dove
Pablo Picasso

The courtyard of Somerset House.  The Courtauld
is to the right of where I was standing when I took this picture.
They were building a structure for London Fashion Week.

We had lunch at The Gallery Cafe.

Somerset House
London, England
September 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment